Ongoing Professional Development Requirements for Psychologists
AAPi is committed to providing our members with access to free and discounted, quality CPD opportunities. AAPi Members can record their completed activities on our CPD log in their member profile.
The information below has been gathered from the Psychology Board of Australia (PsyBA). Please refer to the PsyBA for more information.
When you apply for full registration you will be required to commit to completing the requirements for Continuous Professional Development (CPD).
1. You need to develop a learning plan that:
- is based on a skills and knowledge self-assessment;
- identifies areas for development or improvement;
- sets learning objectives; and
- enhances life-long learning.
2. You must complete a minimum of 30 hours of CPD activities annually during the period 1 December until 30 November. At least 10 of these hours must be peer consultation. Pro rata requirements If, when you apply to renew your general registration, you have held general registration for less than 12 months of the period 1 December to 30 November, you must have completed 2.5 hours of CPD for every full month that you held general registration, and one third of the pro-rata CPD must be peer consultation. Your CPD activities should be relevant to your area of professional practice and have clear learning aims and objectives that meet your individual requirements.
The activities should:
- be outcome-focused;
- seek to ensure continued competence in your area of practice and, if relevant, develop skills and knowledge in a new area of practice; and
- seek to ensure activities have contributed to the quality of your practice, which results in the maintenance of high-quality client services.
3. You must maintain an up-to-date CPD portfolio that includes:
- your learning plan (see point 1);
- an activity log of all CPD activities;
- written reflection for each activity, including how it relates to your professional development goals; and
- any receipts, tax invoices or certificates of attendance to verify participation in CPD activities, when applicable.
You must maintain your CPD portfolio for five years in case you are audited.
A template of requirements can be downloaded here: CPD Template