Yesterday we shared the disappointing news that the Federal Government will not be extending the additional 10 Better Access sessions past 31 December 2022. This decision was made despite the recommendation from the Better Access Evaluation that the additional sessions should continue.
This decision will harm those most in need, and with your help, we can make a compelling case for the Government to reverse its decision and continue funding additional Better Access sessions.
We know how busy you are, but we need you to please send an email to your local Federal Member of Parliament ASAP and tell them in your own words what this decision means for you and your clients.
You can even do a brief video and send it as an attachment. Send the video to us and we’ll put it on our social channels.
Here are some tips for your email:
- Use the MP’s correct title – start your email with Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms/Dr.
- Say who you are and why you are writing to them. Make it clear you are a member of their electorate.
- Keep it brief.
- Include your personal experience that made you want to speak up.
- Include relevant facts (e.g your increased cost of providing services, the demand from your patients for the extra 10 sessions).
- Highlight a local connection that has impacted mental health in your community (e.g floods, pandemic lockdowns).
- Be polite.
- Tell them you want them to raise this issue directly with the Minister for Health and Aged Care, Mark Butler and the Assistant Minister for Mental Health and Suicide Prevention, Emma McBride.
- Provide your contact details.
- Cc: [email protected] and [email protected]
If you are unsure which electorate you are in, you can look it up here and you can find your MPs name here. Click here for a contact list for all Federal MPs email addresses.
AAPi will continue to provide a strong voice on this topic through the media and directly with the Government but it is vital for every single person to voice their concerns as outlined above.
Thank you for your support.